Introduction


What is this blog about, you may ask? Well, it is the story of our home, and our gardens. How they developed. It is my tool for keeping track of what is going on in the gardens, and what has been planted when, what did well, and what did not. This is the year, where I am really beginning to focus again on my gardening, and I thought that blogging about it, would help me document everything.


Let me tell you a little about us. I am Tamara, my husband is Miles, and we have 3 girls. The story of our home and land began just 9 yrs ago, in June of 1999. That is when we purchased our 2.3 acres. This land sits up on a bluff, over looking the Snoqualmie Valley and the Snoqualmie River, with a view of the Cascade Foothills beyond. We are about 30 miles northeast of Seattle. This land used to be part of a farm, and we have two old cherry trees, several old pear and plum trees on the lot. Otherwise it is a pretty clear, sunny lot with just a few evergreen and scrub trees lining the eastern property line.


Our previous house was in the woods and very dark. We were thrilled with the light and the view this land offered. It was also just down the street from my in-laws who were currently building their house. We had a 4 yr old daughter with another daughter due to be born in August of that year, and we liked the idea of being close to the grandparents.


We spent that summer and fall looking for a builder, and trying to come up with the perfect house plan. Miles and I both went to college to study architecture, and we were busy designing the perfect house plan. We found our builder early in the fall, and they were ready to go. They thought it best if we submitted our plans for permitting right at the first of the year. My husband and I both freaked out a bit, knowing how much work was involved in putting together a set of construction documents, with him working full time and me home with a newborn and pre-schooler, we just didn't know how we would get it done in time.


It just so happened, that I love to watch HGTV and all those home shows on TV. I happened to be tuned in to Hometime on PBS one day, and they were just finishing a project, a custom designed house they had built from the ground up. It was the final episode, and they were giving a tour of the house. I fell in LOVE! I couldn't wait for my husband to come home to show him. As soon as he saw it, he said order the plans. He loved it as well. The house done for the show, was called the Maple Forest and it was designed by Michaela Mahady of SALA Architects. I have also heard it referred to as the Storybook Cottage, and that is how I like to refer to our home. Here is a link to the plans: Maple Forest Plans


So that is how it all began. Above is a photograph of our home. I hope to be adding many more photo's soon giving you a tour of the gardens!

0 comments: