Happy Earth Day!

I had a great day and spent most of it getting veggies planted. I started the second veggie bed in back, and got my broccoli and brussel sprouts in. I planted Early Green broccoli, and Jade and Red Rubine brussel sprouts. I'm anxious to see and taste the Red Rubine. I've never seen or tasted red brussel sprouts! Brussel Sprouts are one of my all time favorite veggies these days, although you could not get me to eat one as a kid. I think I read this recipe for roasted brussel sprouts in a Barefoot Contessa cookbook, and they are to die for! Coat the brussel sprouts with olive oil in a bowl and add salt and pepper. Place on cookie sheet under broiler for about 15 minutes, turning them every 2-3 minutes. They end up crunchy and nutty. Just delicious!!

I had way more than I had broccoli than I planned for, in fact, I still have some broccoli that won't fit in and will have to be squeezed in out front somewhere. For future reference, I bought four mega 6-packs of broccoli starts from Fred Meyer. They each had almost double, so +/- 12 plants per pack. Next year two of them would be fine. I went crazy with the brussel sprouts, I think I had two of the mega 6-packs from Fred Meyer. Then at Molbaks, one of my favorite nursery's, I found the Red Rubine which were just in a four inch pot, but they were jammed in there! I think I probably got 10 plants per pot and I bought 3! I also bought two plain green pots there as well. I only need about half that amount for next year.

I also didn't get in a 6-pack each of cauliflower or red cabbage, which will also have to go out front. Although I'm contemplating putting in another smaller veggie bed out back, but my husband will probably freak out if I suggest it. He thinks I'll never possibly fill the front one we just put in! LOL!

We had a fairly "green" dinner tonight for the kids for Earth Day. I made a delish Fish Taco and Green Rice dish from Rachael Ray The kids were a little weirded out by the green rice, but if you like cilantro, try it! I thought it was great, although it needed a bit of salt. I used Tilapia instead of Mahi Mahi and it worked out great.

0 comments: