Have you made a Rag Quilt yet?

So while I wait for the spring rains to subside enough for me to get outside and acually enjoy working in the garden instead of freezing my buns off (did I mention it is supposed to SNOW again tonight?!?!?!), I've been sewing. Now let me let you know, I do not sew. I am just learning. My 9 year old daughter wanted to sew, so last year, we joined a 4-H sewing group. This is her second year in the group, and I have learned via her learning. Over Christmas break, I got brave enough to sit down and try my first ever sewing project. I made a Rag Quilt for my youngest daughter. Here's a picture:



A close up:



For all you other fearful wanna be sewers, let me tell you this is a great easy project to start with. I have in fact, started a second one for our bedroom, in turquoise, tan and chocolate brown prints with a chocolate brown backing. Here are the squares.



I will try and take more pics as I assemble the quilt and show them in another post. Right now I have about 2/3's of the squares assembled, meaning the backing, batting in the middle, and top print square, are sewn together by stitching a simple "X" through all three layers. I have to finish doing this to the rest of the squares, and then start sewing the squares together to make the rows.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That quilt looks great girl. I'm so glad to see you blogging again. I really enjoy reading. It seems like you have been very busy between the gardening and working on your new sewing skills. My mom is a really great seamtress, and I do know the basics. I would love to do more projects like this, and basic alterations plus repair jobs.

Tamara said...

Thanks for stopping by Bonnie! Yes, I seem to get the blogging bug come spring, and then start Ebaying in the fall. And I can only do one at a time it seems. Your blog is doing FANTASTIC! I checked your Sitemeter the other day and can't believe all the visitors you get! You'll have to give me your best tips!

Unknown said...

Thanks. Actually I've been slacking on the visitors. I was getting almost 400-500 daily right before Christmas. I'm trying to get my blog going again. I find commenting on more popular blogs helps the most.

I started my garden this year and planted a couple of blueberry bushes so I love having an outlet to share. My blackberry bush is going nuts this year. I have a lot of new sprouts so I'm very hopeful that it will keep multiplying. I love the berries.